Monday, June 25, 2012

Health and Nutrition


http://strive4health.net/



Keeping up with nutritional news can be quite a burden and challenge, but I have a lot around me that generally keeps me well-informed. As I do research, I'll share my findings on here as well, but let's give a brief rundown of what I'm chasing as of right now.



Mainly my diet I would consider paleo. I try to adapt to those kinds of principles, but I don't follow anything strictly. Over and over again you'll read from those who really understand health that you can't follow anybody else 100%. You're always going to have even subtle differences to someone else that can drastically change how you need to treat yourself. But I try to embrace "keto" practices as well.

There's many different communities for all sorts of plans, but do what you feel is right and experiment. I've felt really good by grasping the paleo ideas of low-carb, low dairy, high protein meals that have creative and non-restrictive means of consuming colorful and varied foods.

I have tried to avoid almost all carbs. I'll admit I'm not always the best at cutting sugar, but candy is definitely not my downfall. It's mainly drinks, pre-prepared teas and lemonades. They have just as much sugar and what not as a soda, but at the very least generally contain all natural ingredients. At work, I'm able to stick to a nice bottle of water and a drinking fountain to fill it at less than 25 feet from my back. Today I cheated and am drinking a very delicious peach tea & lemonade Calypso Teamonade drink. It's a good Monday pick-me-up, yet still 29g of sugar. That's a big no-no. Tomorrow I'll be back to my regularly prescribed water!
Calypso : My downfall!

One thing I definitely always want to be improving is my creativity with lunches. I sit in an office 8 hours a day at the computer, but in an environment that limits my lunch ability. I pretty much have to rely on my little 6-pack cooler and tupperware, which I have actually found to be an enjoyable experience.

I find that is one of the biggest hurdles many face, from when you first move out on your own, to when you start really considering your diet, is determining what, exactly, you can eat. Straying from the frozen section can be a very daunting task, but from when I was about 16 years old with a job and able to provide for myself, I made a pact that I would do my best to make my own food and keep creative.
Down with crappy, boring sandwiches!

When you've got the cash to support it, this is easy, but it's so hard to avoid old habits when something like cash may be running low and you can feel a bit of a panic, leading you back to massive amounts of sodium and other fun things when you're eating ramen 3 times a day for a couple weeks. I've been there, and love when I recover back to a "happy" diet.



http://strive4health.net/



No comments:

Post a Comment